Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Great Things Take Time-25 Days!

AI just made it through one of the toughest workouts that I had left to complete before the race. 7 miles with three miles of intervals tucked in the middle.

It was hard.
But right near the end when I was getting fatigued, my music shifted to an old song that used to push me through hard workouts in college.

"Great Things Take Time" by Ed Cash.
Maybe it's cheesy now. Honestly, I have no idea because it means so much to me that I am not a good judge.

The end of the song has this lyric:

"Now perhaps in your fearful forest
You've found that you have fallen down
Don't be sad, don't be scared,
No, do not be afraid
Because there is one who can pick you up
Off the ground
You see if your destiny is to be carved
Into a perfect thing
Then life does not begin until you die to
The way your living "

I have always loved that. If your destiny is to be carved into a perfect thing, then life does not begin until you die to the way you live. 

The way I want to live is sit on my couch and eat cookies. But my destiny is to be carved into a perfect thing. So I have to work hard at excellence in my life. Not perfection but excellence. My sister shared with me a quote from Brene Brown that resonated with me this week, "When you strive for perfection, you get repaid with shame. When you strive for excellence, you are becoming the person you were made to be."

I'm not trying to be perfect. I'm trying to be the person God made me to be. 
I love having the time to run in the morning to reflect on all of this. It has really opened up my heart and mind to what my day will hold.

25 days! 

No comments: