Friday, October 4, 2013

29 Days Until the Start Line

"The starting line of the New York City Marathon is kind of a giant time bomb behind you about to go off. It is the most spectacular start in sport." 
-Bill Rodgers


The blessed start line. Once you get started, there's no getting off that train. You have to keep going until you hit 26.2 miles or die trying. Hopefully, I will just get to Central Park. 

I can't wait to hear New York, New York. The cannon, and to RUN across the Verazzano Narrows Bridge. It's like a dream. 

Running for a charity like Inheritance of Hope has been so fun because I've spent so much time reflecting on the word "hope." I've written blog posts about this before. The start line is the biggest visual that I have of the word HOPE right now. All of the work, dedication--every morning run, every time I was ALL of my running clothes (AGAIN)...is just to get to the start line. I want to run the race.
You can't do that without getting here. Pinning the bib. Last minute peeing. Gathering the people. Nervously swaying and then-BOOM! Just like that you are off on this massive journey that won't stop until you are done. I'm just training in hope that I get there. That I won't get injured, there won't be a storm, that this governmental shut down will end so that the base won't be closed on race day. Just training in hope right now. Not fear. Just pure discipline in hope. 




No comments: